Lake Chala Day Tour - Daytrip Tour
- Duration 1 day
- No Of People From 1 person
Lake Chala Day Tour - Daytrip Tour
The tranquillity and peace of Lake Chala seem a thousand lifetimes away from the bustle of Moshi town, but it’s actually only an hour’s drive away, so perfect for a day trip with a difference. Lake Chala is a caldera lake fed by clean, cold underground streams from Kilimanjaro itself, and it’s renowned for its gloriously changing colours; from deepest turquoise to emerald green to azure and all colours in between. It’s a perfect place to relax and unwind and you’ve the choice of hiking the picture-perfect countryside around the lake, swimming in its sparkling waters (don’t forget your cozzie!) or kayaking across the border to Kenya. Or all three! It’s a day full of getting up close and personal to one of the greatest (and quietest) treasures of Tanzania.
Find your inner character at Lake Chala, Lake Chala is the perfect place to get some down time from the hustle and bustle of city life. Located just 1.5 hours away from Moshi on the border of Tanzania and Kenya, this peaceful scene is one mighty fine example of how much natural beauty Tanzania has to offer.
Lake Chala is believed to be the caldera of a volcanic eruption which happened over three million years ago. Now all that remains is a beautiful blue lake surrounded by lush green forest, where you can see an abundance of different monkeys and birdlife. Depending on the time of year, it ranges in color from deep blue to turquoise and green, it is surrounded by a 100 meters high crater rim. The lake is fed by groundwater flows, which come from Mount Kilimanjaro, fed and drained underground with a rate of about 10 million m³ / years.
A Lake Chala Day Trip is an exciting adventure that allows you to explore the stunning Lake Chala, a unique crater lake located on the border of Tanzania and Kenya.
Duration: The Lake Chala Day Trip is typically a one-day excursion, making it a perfect option for travelers looking for a short adventure.
Location: Lake Chala is situated in the Kilimanjaro region of Tanzania, close to the town of Moshi and the Kenyan border.
Highlights: This day trip offers an opportunity to experience the natural beauty of Lake Chala, surrounded by lush forests and a caldera rim. You can engage in various activities, including hiking, swimming, and enjoying the serene atmosphere.
Here are the Key highlights
- Hiking: The day trip often begins with a hike around the Lake Chala area. You'll have the chance to explore the lush forests, observe diverse flora and fauna, and take in the breathtaking views from the caldera rim.
- Lake Chala: The lake itself is the primary attraction. Known for its crystal-clear, turquoise waters, Lake Chala is a caldera lake formed within the remains of a volcanic crater. You can swim in the refreshing waters or simply relax by the lakeside, taking in the tranquil surroundings.
- Bird Watching: Lake Chala is home to a variety of bird species. It's an excellent location for birdwatching, and you may spot numerous avian species while exploring the area.
- Picnic Lunch: The tour often includes a picnic lunch near the lake or at a suitable spot with scenic views. Enjoy a meal in the midst of nature's beauty.
- Cultural Interaction: If there are local communities or guides present, you may have the chance to learn about the cultural significance of Lake Chala and the surrounding area.
- Boat Tours: Some Lake Chala day trips may offer boat tours on the lake, providing a unique perspective of the water and its surrounding landscapes.
- Relaxation: Lake Chala is a tranquil and serene place, making it an ideal spot for relaxation and contemplation.
A Lake Chala Day Trip offers a combination of natural beauty, outdoor activities, and relaxation. It's an excellent choice for nature enthusiasts, hikers, and those seeking a peaceful getaway. The tour allows you to explore an extraordinary natural wonder and experience the serene atmosphere of Lake Chala.
Your friendly guide will arrive at your accommodation armed with your tasty packed lunch. Then he or she will bustle you into the transport and drive you to Lake Chala Safari Camp. On the way you’ll journey through the everyday life of Moshi and on to the freeway, and you can spend a relaxing, comfortable hour-and-a-bit taking in the sights.
Lake Chala Safari Camp is a beautiful private game reserve overlooking Lake Chala. You’ll arrive there and our guide will take you down to the lakeside, through vividly green flora, with the blue, blue lake ahead of you. It gets quite rocky near the lake so wear sturdy footwear. It’s a stunning area perfect for hikers and birdwatchers, and in season you might be lucky enough to spot elephants gathering at a distant waterhole. Spend the day wandering the paths around the lake or across the nearby savannah, where you’re likely to see baboons, vervet monkeys and blue monkeys as well as (perhaps) the shy dik-dik and graceful kudu, too.
After your hike, spend some time sitting by the lakeside enjoying the stillness, only disturbed by birdsong and the gently lapping waters.
If you’re feeling a little more active, you can jump into a kayak and explore the lake further. You’ll be serenaded by the ever-present birdsong and gentle plashing of the water as you row.
After your adventures, stop at the bar for a drink (alcoholic or otherwise) and, if you’re a little peckish, an afternoon snack. If you haven’t opted to camp at the Lake (think campfire under the star-filled heavens), you’ll be driven back to Moshi in the late afternoon. The pleasant drive will give you some “you” time to reflect on your day and wonder if it would be rude to go straight to bed when you get back – you won’t believe how tired you’ll feel after a day of restorative, stress-relieving peace.
|No of Clients
|Price Per Person
|2 - 3 Clients
|4 - 6 Clients